[imp] Spellcheck

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Wed Aug 27 10:53:34 PDT 2003

>   I have placed ispell in the safe mode exec directory in php.ini,
> restarted apache, and ensured that the apache user and group have the
> proper permissions to the ispell binary in the safe mode directory.  I
> speficied the absolute and relative path and what I get is a result saying
> the spell check is complete, but obvious errors are not caught.. Disable
> safe mode and it works.

Add the following to the above:

1) Copied (not symlinked) the entire pspell (and ispell wrapper) binaries
(which are really called aspell) to Safe_mode Binary directory. Fixed up any
paths within scripts to be absolute. (CHECK)

1A) Tried completely absolute and relative path specifications within the
imp/config/conf.php setting. (CHECK)

2) Ensured owner/group privs on all pspell files matched horde/imp .php
pages and were legible to the webserver's processes (CHECK)

3) Added LANG and LANGUAGE to the allowed environment vars to be altered by
PHP... (CHECK) [along with "TZ", this silences warnings successfully]

4) Configured the imp/conf.php file's usage of the spell check command to
ensure ISPELL compatibility mode (implicitly expected by the code) is
enabled, and echo'ed command lines to a text file to ensure they met
expectations. (CHECK)

5) Enlarged memory and execution time limits past reasonable prudence.

Results:

Safe_Mode ON:: No spelling check functionality at all.  No errors logged in
either webserver or horde logs.  You can click on the spell-check button,
but it always says everything's spelled correctly.  It's as if the command
is executed, but generates no output and returns with a 0 status (no-error).
It was at about this time I had to be pressing on to my daily spleen flensing.

Safe_Mode OFF:: Clicking on the spell check button has the desired effect,
showing all spelling mistakes taking into account the user's language
preference.  Proper English users don't have to suffer "color", etc.

Cheers,

=Apollyon=