[imp] question about proper From/Subject line field size

rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com
Sat Aug 30 08:15:00 PDT 2003

Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> said:

> Zitat von rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com:
>
> > IMP Head.
> > The 'from' and the 'subject' lines when adjusting their widths in
> > options->display-options do truncate to the size given in display
> > options, but
> > only the string truncates and not the size of the field.  Should not the
> > entire
> > field size change as well as the string in the field itself?
>
> No, because the purpose of this setting is that you can adjust the text
> length to fit into the existing columns. Or not, if you want to see more
> text.
>
> > On my setup running mozilla only the string truncates but not the field.
> > I wonder if this is just a mozilla problem.  Need to reduce the field
> > size
> > so as to get everything to fit properly on a 800x600 display.  Is this
> > supposed
> > to work?

> What *is* the problem exactly? The columns sizes are relative, so they
> should work on every screen resolution.

No problem sir.  Seeked a confirmation of current behavor. Bulk of my users have
display constraints at 800x600 and this is proving to be a challenge in
usuability.  People using system are good folks but computerwise are dumb as
doorknobs. And I think my previous question qualifies as well.

Between the left Horde frame and the menu frame at the top of IMP there is no
room left without scrolling on 800x600.  It's a support issue.  The IMAP folder
list pulldown control is too long.  Gets cutoff. Have to scroll to right to get
to it.  Wanted to severely limit field sizes to absolute minimum.  The message
size field is not very helpful, It would be nice to have the ability to turn
off/on this field. I know the pulldown control sizes depend on the largest
string fed to it, but wish I could limit its size as an option.

Also since I am on a roll, the users seem to love the tool tips message
previews, but we feel it would be more useful having an option to specify which
field to activate the tooltip preview on, because on our browsers having it to
the right subject line field will usually result in part of the window being
truncated

So there are just little things like this that might seem non-sense to most, but
I hear a lot of the same thing from the folks who use this thing.  I have a
whole list of requests/complaints from the users.  They are a demanding lot.

Jan, to your thinking, is any of what I said above reasonable?

Cheers
Ron