[imp] question about proper From/Subject line field size

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Aug 30 08:28:39 PDT 2003

Zitat von rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com:

> Between the left Horde frame and the menu frame at the top of IMP there
> is no
> room left without scrolling on 800x600.  It's a support issue.  The IMAP

If you don't need this (left) menu, you can turn it off in the preferences.
If you need more than, say one other application (that could be linked
directly in the IMP menu), it doesn't make sense though to deactivate it.

> folder
> list pulldown control is too long.  Gets cutoff. Have to scroll to right
> to get
> to it.  Wanted to severely limit field sizes to absolute minimum.  The
> message
> size field is not very helpful, It would be nice to have the ability to
> turn

Yes, a user preference to select which columns to show like in Turba would
be cool. Some people requested this already but noone stepped up so far to
code such a thing.

Meanwhile you can remove columns from your codebase by hacking the
imp/templates/mailbox/ files.

> off/on this field. I know the pulldown control sizes depend on the
> largest
> string fed to it, but wish I could limit its size as an option.

We alread cut this field at a certain width. I am not sure if this is
configurable or hardcoded, but you should be able to lower this size.

> Also since I am on a roll, the users seem to love the tool tips message
> previews, but we feel it would be more useful having an option to specify
> which
> field to activate the tooltip preview on, because on our browsers having
> it to
> the right subject line field will usually result in part of the window
> being
> truncated

I already changed the tooltip such that they move right to not exceed the
left border. Something similar could be done with the right border, though
it's a bit trickier. You can only move the box to the left if it already
has content because the width is variable.
A patch (this is pure javascript btw) would be great.

Jan.