[imp] Subfolder Creation Problem

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Wed Sep 17 17:45:40 PDT 2003

> I have found that with the IMAP 2001c I cannot create folders under the
> Inbox.

INBOX is special, and besides, it's normally located in a system directory
(/var/spool/mail) where users aren't typically permitted to create
files/directories.

> You can create subfolders off of the root just fine.  Another
> tidbit of information that I learned late in the game is that a folder
> can a) hold email or b) hold other folders but not both.

Correct.  This is because a mail folder (containing other mailboxes) maps to
a filesystem folder, and a mailbox is mapped to a file.  The IMAP4 mailbox
system presents a quasi-filesystem metaphor to its clients.  Once you
realise that, all of the operational details "make sense".

Granted, there many different "mailbox" schemes from the simple to the
exotic, and that's where I suspect the biggest differences between the
various imapd(servers) come into play.

> If you want to create a folder to hold other folders you need to
> specific folder/ instead of folder when creating it.

CORRECT.

=Apollyon=