[imp] Subfolder Creation Problem

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 07:02:32 PDT 2003

Quoting Lord Apollyon <implist at paypc.com>:

> In this case, I'm not sure changing your IMAP server will change these
> semantics - since the c-client library PHP uses (and is therefore used by
> Horde/IMP) is built around the wu-imapd directory-is-a-collection /
> file-is-a-mailbox metaphor.

Not really. It's built around the IMAP spec.

> I could be mistaken about this, though, since my experience with other
> imapd's is limited.  Cyrus is in its own bizarre universe, and Courier uses
> "maildir" mailboxes by default (I believe) where a mailbox is really a
> directory, and each piece of mail is a file.

You're mistaken. Cyrus and Courier are pretty standard IMAP implementations;
both allow you to create subfolders of a folder that actually contains mail. So
does MS Exchange. UW IMAPd and others that use the unix filesystem more
directly don't allow that - you can create subfolders, but only of a
"container" folder that doesn't actually contain mail.

The IMAP spec and documentation for all of these servers is easily available;
please try to check things out instead of speculating when you know you don't
know the area, and possibly confusing people.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
Born right the first time.