[imp] imp auth using cyclic credentials

Tobias Drewry tdrewry at bu.edu
Mon Sep 29 12:49:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've been working for some time to enable the current cvs release of
horde and imp to allow a transparent login using http auth.  Our
University uses a standarized Web Authentication Module which uses a
single set of isolated credential servers to ensure that all web
authentications are preformed by our servers alone.  Our Weblogin system
assigns two $_SERVER vars which act as credentials for the logged in user.
These credentials are updated approx. every 5 minutes.

This poses a problem with the imp authentication scheme in that the
credentials are expired and imp then prompts the user to login in again
via a horde login.  I've picked over all the locations which I could think
of to force usage of our server vars for re-authentication, however I've
been unsuccessful in finding a standard location.

So, finally my question: Is there any way to enable this sort of Auth
scheme without editing nearly all of the imp php scripts?  If so, can you
give me some pointers as to where to go and what to edit.  Obviously I'm
very interested in keeping the install cvs compatible.

I've already attempted to setup the server with HordeAuth however this
seems to be insufficent.

FYI, I have setup horde successful at this point to use our web auth
module via a modified lib/Auth/http.php.  The modification  was simply to
replace the originaly stated username and password information with the
our server vars.

and finally.. while this may be off list topic, Since setting up http
auth, I've lost the side bar menu.  However, once I'm in imp and click on
any of the buttons *other then refresh* the sidebar loads... wacky.
--
Tobias Drewry
Analyst/Consultant I
tdrewry at bu.edu