[imp] How to update RELENG branch?

Tim Meader tmeader at cne-odin.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 30 08:26:59 PST 2003

Here is a transcript from my (and various others) discussion with one of
the Mozilla developers RE this issue:

---------<begin transcript>-----------
------- Additional Comment #11 From Boris Zbarsky (real world intrudes)
Yeah, the behavior for content-disposition headers changed, and purposefully.
It's not changing back.  All that remains to be seen is whether that's the
problem Tim is having or whether he's running into something else.

------- Additional Comment #12 From Jijoe Vurghese 2003-10-17 10:49 -------
Per comment #11, does it mean that Mozilla 1.5 will not "respect" an unquoted
filename param in the Content Disposition header, if it has spaces? I was
looking through the HTTP standard definition for this header and it looks
like a
filename value can be expressed as a quoted string or not.

I'm trying to understand the rationale behind this permanent behavior change.

Also, if the filename value was quoted by the server, would this download
dialog
have worked? If so, I can try hitting up the vendor to fix their product to
comply with the standard...

------- Additional Comment #13 From Boris Zbarsky (real world intrudes)
 > it looks like a filename value can be expressed as a quoted string or not.

Yes, but unquoted strings are only allowed to contain certain chars there, and
spaces are not in that list.

 > I'm trying to understand the rationale behind this permanent behavior
change.

The rationale was the addition of support for non-ascii filenames in this
header.  Supporting non-ascii filenames (via the correct encoding indicators)
and also supporting broken servers that don't quote filenames containing spaces
proved pretty much impossible; we chose to go with making sites that are doing
the right thing work and making non-ascii filenames possible.

 > Also, if the filename value was quoted by the server, would this download
 > dialog

Yes, of course.
-------<end transcript>-----------

 From my understanding it is only server configuration (IIS, Apache)
problem which would cause this to mess up in IE. I can't confirm this of
course, but I will say that since making the few changes I mentioned in my
original post, it has been downloading files with spaces in the name fine in:

IE 5.5 (Windows and OSX)
IE 6
Mozilla 1.2
Mozilla 1.4 (and Netscape 7.1)
Netscape 6.2 (and Mozilla 1.0)
Safari 1.0
Firebird 0.6.1
Firebird 0.7

I can't vouch for any others, but all those work fine.

Thanks in advance.