[imp] UTF issue(cvs head).urgent

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Nov 25 01:36:17 PST 2003

Zitat von David Chang <david at tmv.gov.tw>:

> Hi all:
> The attached mail(test.eml) can be read as Chinese format in IMP(3.2) but
> IMP(cvs 4.0) doesn't.
>
> Here are the two screens of message view to compare.
> 1. In IMP 3 http://www.tmv.gov.tw/~txg16/test_eml_imp32.gif       (Looks
> good)
> 2. In IMP 4.0 cvs http://www.tmv.gov.tw/~txg16/test_eml_imp4.gif   (Looks
> bad)
>
> You can also find the test.eml at http://www.tmv.gov.tw/~txg16/test.zip
> ,if it
> not exist in this list.
>
> Anybody tell me how to fix it ? Thanks for your time.

Tell the sender to use a mail client that is not broken. The mail doesn't
contain any charset information, and because we can't guess the actual
charset, we have to assume that it's ascii. The old IMP didn't care at all
about the charsets, so it displays fine because you happen to use the same
language/charset that the message is written in.

Jan.