[imp] UTF issue(cvs head).urgent

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Nov 25 08:52:25 PST 2003

| Zitat von David Chang <david at tmv.gov.tw>:
|
| > Hi all:
| > The attached mail(test.eml) can be read as Chinese format in IMP(3.2)
| but
| > IMP(cvs 4.0) doesn't.
| >
| > Here are the two screens of message view to compare.
| > 1. In IMP 3 http://www.tmv.gov.tw/~txg16/test_eml_imp32.gif
| (Looks
| > good)
| > 2. In IMP 4.0 cvs http://www.tmv.gov.tw/~txg16/test_eml_imp4.gif
| (Looks
| > bad)
| >
| > You can also find the test.eml at http://www.tmv.gov.tw/~txg16/test.zip
| > ,if it
| > not exist in this list.
| >
| > Anybody tell me how to fix it ? Thanks for your time.
|
| Tell the sender to use a mail client that is not broken. The mail doesn't
| contain any charset information, and because we can't guess the actual
| charset, we have to assume that it's ascii.

Just to elaborate on Jan's answer a bit more, here is the MIME headers for
the part you are trying to display:

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C38F27.0BFCF430

So not only is there no character set information in Content-Type, but the
message is in 8bit transfer encoding which is invalid for transport across
the Internet (see RFC 2045).

michael