[imp] ingo (imp) filter question

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 3 12:26:04 PST 2003

Quoting Jeff Tucker <jeff at jltnet.com>:

> Incidentally, the exact same argument that Eric brings up applies to the
> HTML message composition.

No, I don't think it does.

> I don't want to veer off subject or sound like
> I'm complaining, but HTML composition worked for something like 90% of
> users based on the number of users who use Internet Explorer.

Not at my site, since way too many of them use older versions that also
failed (try as I may, I've still got people using ancient versions of IE,
or vendor mutalated versions like AOL's and so on).

Besides, it was always buggy in all browsers.

> Now it works
> for well under 10% of users and it doesn't for anybody who used to use it.

Then it simply needs to be fixed.  The old one needed to be fixed.  The new
one needs to be fixed.  Basically status quo.

The problem is no one stepped up to maintain the older versions, and now no
one has stepped up to maintain the new version.  Again, status quo.

> I realize HEAD is a place for development, but it seems to me that a change
> this large shouldn't have been made if the code didn't actually work.

Perhaps you don't really understand the purpose of HEAD then.  It is for
development.  Progress towards a goal.  Sometime that may require a step
backwards in the short term, for forward progress in the long term.

> And,
> for the vast majority of users, it doesn't.

The one of those users, or the admin for those users, needs to step up
and help fix it.

> The stable releases of Imp seem
> to be falling further and further behind HEAD, which forces many of us to
> use HEAD on production systems.

Forces you?  Let's be fair.  You can use any version of HEAD, including
one before the change was made to the html composition.  No one is forcing
you to use the most recent version, or any version.

Again, if we had more people helping to get Horde ready for release, then
we wouldn't have to wait so long...  (Sure wish I could help more, but
recently I've just had no time)

> But, the HTML message composition hasn't
> generated nearly the number of complaints that losing the filter
> capabilities has.

Most users don't even know the html composition is there, in my experience.
With the recent increase in spam, most users are now aware of filtering ;)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!