[imp] debugging a problem with appledouble MIME viewer [LONG]

Ben Poliakoff benp at imap.reed.edu
Wed Dec 3 15:14:51 PST 2003

I've written in about this issue some months back, but have never
resolved the problem....

The problem:

My Horde/Imp (CVS HEAD) installation doesn't display
multipart/appledouble MIME attachments correctly.

[For those who might not know, multipart/appledouble is a MIME standard
used by Macintoshes for encoding files with resource forks. Part 1 of
a multipart/appledouble file should be an application/applefile (the
resource fork), part 2 should be the "data" fork (which can be of any
MIME type, though it's probably almost always
"application/octet-stream").  At any rate this "data" fork is the most
important part of the file, it's where the actual contents of the
file are....]

Details:

When I "view" a multipart/appledouble file within Imp a new window pops
up (as it is supposed to).  But it doesn't display everything that it
should.

It displays a line of text:

    This message contains a Macintosh file. The original file can be
    downloaded HERE.

Where "HERE" is a link to download the resource fork (which is of little
value in a webmail context).

But after this line there should be a little table with a "lightgrey"
background that offers a download link to the data fork part of the file.

For some reason my $IMPROOT/lib/MIME/Viewers/appledouble.php is not
generating any text here, so the table is not visible at all.  And hence
there's no way obvious way to get at the data fork.

Interestingly if I look at the link that is generated for the resource
fork I see something like this:

https://my.web.server/horde/services/download/?Horde=SESSION&module=imp&thismailbox=INBOX&index=4&mailbox=INBOX&actionID=download_attach&id=2.1&mimecache=MIMECACHENUMBER&fn=%2Ftest_document

If I change the part of the URL that reads "id=2.1" to be "id=2.2" and
then paste that revised URL into my browser I'm able to download the
data fork (the second part of the multipart/appledouble file).

Does anyone familiar with this part of Imp have a suggestion about how
to debug this problem?

My imp test.php looks fine, my horde test.php looks fine, my mime_magic
stuff in phpinfo() looks OK.  I'm running php version 4.3.3.

I've built php with the following configure options:

    './configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/web/php-4.3.3'
    '--with-apxs2=/usr/local/web/httpd/bin/apxs' '--with-mcrypt'
    '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-kerberos'
    '--with-openssl' '--with-zlib' '--with-ldap' '--with-mm'
    '--enable-sockets' '--with-gettext' '--with-xml' '--with-dom'
    '--with-mime-magic' '--with-iconv' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-xslt'
    '--with-xslt-sablot' '--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--with-sablot-js'

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

Ben Poliakoff                                   email: <benp at imap.reed.edu>
Reed College                                           tel:  (503)-788-6674
Unix System Administrator       PGP key: http://www.reed.edu/~benp/key.html