[imp] Displaying messages in other character sets

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Thu Dec 4 07:08:23 PST 2003

--On Thursday, December 04, 2003 12:27 PM +0100 Jan Schneider
<jan at horde.org> wrote:

> Are you sure that both extensions are installed and working? Check
> horde/test.php?mode=phpinfo and run the build tests in the php source
> tree:
>
> export TEST_PHP_EXECUTABLE=./sapi/cli/php
> ./sapi/cli/php run-tests.php ext/mbstring/
> ./sapi/cli/php run-tests.php ext/iconv/

Yes, phpinfo shows that both extensions are installed and enabled.

One thing I noticed was this in the mbstring info:

mbstring.detect_order no value no value
mbstring.encoding_translation Off Off
mbstring.func_overload 0 0
mbstring.http_input pass pass
mbstring.http_output pass pass
mbstring.internal_encoding no value no value
mbstring.language neutral neutral
mbstring.substitute_character no value no value

That encoding_translation, does it need to be set to On in my php.ini?

I ran both tests you specified above and every test had PASS except for a
couple which it skipped.

> The question marks appear if one of the extensions can't convert these
> characters to the specified charset but don't raise an error. I was never
> able to reproduce this with the latest code, so you are a bit on your own
> here.

OK, I'll struggle with it some more. There must just be some setting
somewhere in Horde or PHP which I don't have set right. Let's assume I
can't ever get this working, though. Do you have any idea why the original
issue is happening, that when I click to get the new window, it doesn't
open in the correct character set?

Jeff