[imp] Displaying messages in other character sets

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Dec 4 03:27:15 PST 2003

Zitat von Jeff Tucker <jeff at jltnet.com>:

> --On Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:14 AM +0100 Jan Schneider
> <jan at horde.org> wrote:
>

> > Enable the mbstring and iconv extension in your PHP and you won't need
> an
> > extra window at all.
> >
> > Jan.
> >

> Jan, Thanks for your reply. I looked through the archives, but didn't see
> anything about this.
>
> I recompiled PHP 4.3.4 on my test machine with iconv and mbstring
> enabled.
> I've tried glibc's iconv as well as iconv 1.9.1 from GNU with the same
> results.
>
> Previously, my test message would show up with lots of incorrect
> characters. Now, it shows up as question marks. Opening the new window
> doesn't change anything, I still get question marks.
>
> Before, if I changed the character encoding of the new window manually to
> the correct character set (KOI8-R in this case) the message showed up
> correctly. Now, if I do that, I still get just question marks.
>
> Is there something else I'm missing? I'm running Imp HEAD from around a
> month ago. I haven't set anything in my config files to enable character
> set conversion or anything special, to my knowledge. I have copied the
> nls.php.dist file to nls.php in the Horde config, but not changed
> anything
> in there.

Are you sure that both extensions are installed and working? Check
horde/test.php?mode=phpinfo and run the build tests in the php source tree:

export TEST_PHP_EXECUTABLE=./sapi/cli/php
./sapi/cli/php run-tests.php ext/mbstring/
./sapi/cli/php run-tests.php ext/iconv/

The question marks appear if one of the extensions can't convert these
characters to the specified charset but don't raise an error. I was never
able to reproduce this with the latest code, so you are a bit on your own
here.

Jan.