[imp] RE:

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 4 13:31:54 PST 2003

Quoting "Brogdon, Jarrod" <jbrogdon at valdostatech.edu>:

> I will be authenticating users
> through imp.

Then IMP will authenticate against your IMAP (or POP3) server.

> Now I’ve got a pretty elementary question:  I’ve looked out on
> the faq’s already, but I need to know the process for creating users.

This is covered in "general terms" in the admin FAQ.  But your answer is
that since you want to authenticate via IMP, which means you will authenticate
via your mail server, that you create accounts as per your mail server's
pop/imap server expects.

If you are running the default RH 8.0 imap server, which is wu-imapd,
then this means simply creating user accounts on the Red Hat system.
You can do this with the /usr/sbin/useradd command, or with the
redhat-config-users script I guess.

> don’t even know how to login to see if everything’s working correctly!

Setup horde to do IMP authentication.  Configure IMP via imp/config/servers.php
for your imap/pop3 server.  (This assumes pop/imap is up and running on your
system already).  Then login with your usual Red Hat login username and
password.  Since this is RH 8.0, if you use IMAP, you need to set the
protocol in servers.php to "imap/notls" for it to work.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!