[imp] over 800kb Attachment problems

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 19 09:02:53 PST 2003

Quoting Antonio Guerrieri <ant at mailing.unile.it>:

> I don't want to repeat myself but, doesn't it seem strange to you that
> the same configuration works well with another program (at least)?

Not really.  Like I said: I've got two version of Horde on my system, and
while one works perfectly, the other doesn't.  One version makes a different
call, or the same call with different arguments, and it blows up.  Nasty
part is I'm the only one seeing this problem too, so it *is* something on
my machine, not in horde/imp.

> > This can happen if you run apache 2.x with php as a filter, and if you
> > tell apache to use php as both a filter and a handler.  This is a
> > common
> > mistake in particular on Red Hat 8 and later configurations...
>
> How can I check this?

In the Red Hat apache, you will have a config file for apache in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.  If you are using php as a handler, then
that line will have something like:

         AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Red Hat apache will also provide an additional config file for php, in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf.  If you are using php as a filter, then
that file will have something like:

<Files *.php>
    SetOutputFilter PHP
    SetInputFilter PHP
    LimitRequestBody 536870912
</Files>

Now, either of these two things is fine.  But if you have both, then your
file uploads will fail, and you will see errors like you are seeing.  You
can use php as a handler or a filter, but not both at the same time.

> > Of course it could be something else also.  All it really says is the
> > uploaded file is missing or unreadable.
>
> File is correctly created with the right size but it is (I think)
> unreadable.

Then that could be a file permission issue with your settings in php.ini
(either umask settings, or file/directory locations, etc).  Double check
them all.  Try using defaults (e.g. /tmp instead of /var/tmp, etc) if you
changed default values.  Make sure the web server account has access to
all the locations, etc.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics