[imp] Re: Lots of Timeouts w/Horde & Imp

Stanley Yuen Stanley at itsc.cuhk.edu.hk
Thu Jan 8 18:24:11 PST 2004

The following are our experience.  Hopefully it can help to answer your
questions.

We had entered this problem and found that, even we increased number in the
session values below, we still received user report on session timeout
unexepctedly.   Thus we believed the timeout problem was not related these
values.

Finally, we throught we found the real cause.   It's because we put IMP in 2
or more servers and used DNS round-robin (i.e.  webmail.mydomain.edu mapped
to maila and mailb in DNS server) whereas session data were stored in a temp
directory in each machine separately.   If a user's PC directly connected to
the webmail machine using the hostname webmail.mydomain.edu, there should be
no session problem and the operating system would try to "cache" the real
hostname resolved in a single session.

However, if there were a lot of users trying to login webmail.mydomain.edu
behind a proxy server, session timeout problem became worse.   Probably the
PC's operating system could not "cache" the proper hostanme in a session as
the real hostname would change at the proxy server.  As the hostname was
changed, the user's session will be redirected to another server (but
actually the user did not login this server) and session timeout occurred.

In order to solve it, you may consider specifying a single place (a shared
directory via NFS or a database table) to keep your session data.
Moreover, if your PHP version is below 4.3, please try to upgrade it as some
session problems were idenitifed before.

Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,
Stanley Yuen