[imp] Re: pop login failure (not really)

Ross Simpson mqsimpson at aol.com
Mon Feb 2 11:14:05 PST 2004

I've solved my own problem -- just posting back the answer here in case
anyone else encounters it.

The problem itself is somewhere between c-client and the qmail pop3 server.

The pop3 connection mechanism in c-client first sends a CAPA command,
then the username and password, then the CAPA command again.  My qmail
pop3 server doesn't respond to the second CAPA command:

$ telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <176.1075747447 at mail.seventh.net>
CAPA
+OK Capability list follows
TOP
UIDL
LAST
USER
APOP
.
user rsimpson at cherryvale.org
+OK
pass .....
+OK
capa
stat
+OK 5 3912
quit
+OK
Connection closed by foreign host.

CAPA is described in RFC 2449.  It is stated there that CAPA is
available during both authentication and transaction states, and that it
should always be followed by either a success (+OK) or failure (-ERR)
code.

My server is not responding to the CAPA command issued during the
transaction state.  I can still issue commands afterwards, but c-client
is expecting a response from the second CAPA, never gets one, and
eventually times out.

My fix for this was to comment out the final call to pop3_capa, at the
very bottom of pop3_auth (in src/c-client/pop3.c).  After doing that,
IMP works great.

This is using imap-2002e and qmail-1.03.

Ross