[imp] Severe bug in mime boundary checking

Myke Place mp at xmission.com
Wed Feb 18 16:31:13 PST 2004

Horde: 2.2.4
IMP: 3.2.2 (run IMP tests)
PHP Version: 4.3.3

We're seeing a bug with the above version of Horde/IMP where a null
entry in a mime boundary will cause IMP to completly loose its mind when
it comes to diplaying messages in the inbox. When a line such as the
following appears,

 boundary=""

IMP will display a seemingly random number of messages per page. For
instance, it could say '5 to 10 of 50 Messages' but will either display
no messages, or only a few messages. It renders the inbox nearly
unusable.

I wish I could say that this is a minor problem, but an increasing
number of spams have mime boundarys set to "" or have inaccurate MIME
boundaries. With 20K users, a single message sent to all users causes
all inboxes to display incorrectly. Not very much fun for the admin who
has to hunt down that message and remove it from the user's spool. I'm
posting this to IMP users, per Michael's suggestion since bugs.horde.org
is down. Feel free to cross-post to devel lists if appropiate.

-mp