[imp] Severe bug in mime boundary checking

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Feb 19 10:46:24 PST 2004

Quoting Myke Place <mp at xmission.com>:

> Horde: 2.2.4
> IMP: 3.2.2 (run IMP tests)
> PHP Version: 4.3.3
>
> We're seeing a bug with the above version of Horde/IMP where a null
> entry in a mime boundary will cause IMP to completly loose its mind when
> it comes to diplaying messages in the inbox. When a line such as the
> following appears,
>
>  boundary=""
>
> IMP will display a seemingly random number of messages per page. For
> instance, it could say '5 to 10 of 50 Messages' but will either display
> no messages, or only a few messages. It renders the inbox nearly
> unusable.
>
> I wish I could say that this is a minor problem, but an increasing
> number of spams have mime boundarys set to "" or have inaccurate MIME
> boundaries. With 20K users, a single message sent to all users causes
> all inboxes to display incorrectly. Not very much fun for the admin who
> has to hunt down that message and remove it from the user's spool. I'm
> posting this to IMP users, per Michael's suggestion since bugs.horde.org
> is down. Feel free to cross-post to devel lists if appropiate.

Messages with empty boundaries work just fine on my server (both CVS and Horde
2/IMP 3 setups) - not only does my mailbox display fine, but the message will
render properly.

This sounds like a problem with an old, out-of-date c-client.  You
probably want
to upgrade that (newer versions seem to do a better job at processing
malformed
MIME message structures).

michael