[imp] Mac attachment testing report

Joe Kletch joe at kletch.com
Wed Mar 3 10:09:39 PST 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Henry Blackman wrote:

> [...]

And they don't think that is good enough.

> It's also quite possible to add data-types, and therefore icons to the
> Horde
> framework which will then display them.  Again, not all desktop based
> mailers handle such esoteric attachments correctly either!

By Icons I meant once downloaded and on the desktop/HD in Panther, not
in IMP.

This is frustrating because I have alarmed you guys, and sounding like
a complainer, but I am in agreement with you on all accounts. You've
done a great job.

If I had to sum it up I am trying to get to point that I can move on
and finish the setup of their webmail system or learn I am doing
something wrong or further developments may make it better.

I need the bounds of operation--and if I need to gather more data I
will.

Here is an example I was provided: a Quark Express file named '4.25 x
4.5' no extension sent from a customer running OS 9 or something old
like that, with little text in the email explaining it and they expect
their prepress to be able to open the document flawlessly. If this was
received in an Apple Mail application all would be fine--the attachment
would be saved on the HD and it would have the Quark Express icon and
when they double click the file it opens in Quark Express.

If this example email were opened in IMP there would be the box:
This message contains a Macintosh file.

The Macintosh resource fork can be downloaded HERE.

And clicking HERE will open a window then file is downloaded. The
downloaded file on the HD has blank icon and double clicking it brings
up the dialog box asking what application to use to open it. The monkey
in prepress doesn't know what application to open in it because the
sender didn't inform them.

It is my understanding that the data in the resource fork of the Mac
file is what enables the icon of the file on the HD to have the icon
from the program it is meant to be opened in.  But I do not understand
how these get reassembled and if IMP is supposed to be doing this and
if anything else in the resource fork is not there.

Joe Kletch