[imp] IE Mac hanging

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Mar 12 09:19:04 PST 2004

Keep on list...

Quoting Payton Swick <payton at repligen.com>:

> No, should it be?
> I assume you mean this line in horde/config/conf.php:
> $conf['compress_pages'] = true;
>
> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
>
>> Quoting Payton Swick <payton at repligen.com>:
>>
>>> A few of my employees have been using horde/imp (cvs HEAD) for some
>>> time with no
>>> problems using Mac OS 9 and MSIE.  Recently some of them have found
>>> that when
>>> logging in and going to imp, the page hangs forever.
>>>
>>> I saw a very similar problem to this a few weeks ago, but it was
>>> with Kronolith,
>>> and when I set the show_icons preference to locked, the issue went away (I
>>> believe this makes kronolith use a special hook).
>>
>> Is page compression turned off?

Page compression is something to *always* check if there is something screwy
with output behavior, particularly if the behavior is limited to IE.  IE (at
least recent versions) have 2 major problems:

1. Buggy compression.  See:
http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20030407/031952.html
or
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312496
Reading Microsoft's description on their page, it appears to be limited to
Windows platforms (the CVS code curretnly only shuts off compression to IE 6
browsers running on Windows).  However, I don't have microsoft source code
sitting in front of me, so it is not completely out of the realm of
possibility
that these problems may affects Macs also.

2. multipart/form handling - some versions of IE will completely mangle the
first POST value returned from these forms.  We counteract this by always
putting in a bogus field as the first input field in these kind of forms.

michael