[imp] Server Farms..

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Wed Mar 31 01:17:34 PST 2004

> My understanding was that you needed at least 4 machines to do this.
> Two failover directors, and two target servers.
> Is that correct?

That depends on the desired level of redundancy.  Obviously, if you're load
balancing... this implies there's more than one target server.  Let's call
the number of target servers, T.  A minimal load balancer setup will just
involve T+1 hosts.  The choice as to whether or not to make your balancer
redundant is similar to whether or not to make your firewall redundant.

Primary and backup LB's are typically connected via null modem [or an
alternative ethernet link] for 'heartbeat' monitoring.

Cheers,

=R=