[imp] Command stream end of file

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Thu Apr 1 13:42:14 PST 2004

> Some users on our system cannot access large (~50 MB) mailboxes through
> IMAP. uw-imap returns 'Command stream end of file, while reading
> line...' and the mailbox is not displayed. However, it is displayed if
> the user logs out and then back in. According the Mark Crispen from the
> UW c-client team, this indicates that the client disconnected to the
> IMAP server without saying goodbye.

I have dozens of users with large mailboxes (over 100MB each).  IMAP, unlike
POP, does not have to process the entire mailbox to read just one email.
You don't need a large memory setting to handle large mailboxes, just large
attachments.

If you're seeing crashes or other problems accessing mailboxes, perhaps your
imapd (or c-client libraries that you built into PHP) are either too old or
buggy.

Search through the list archives - you will see a great deal of teeth
gnashing on that.

I am using the c-client and imapd that shipped with Pine 4.56 without incident.

I also suggest you use an imap proxy for increased performance.

=R=