[imp] DSPAM integration

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Fri Jun 11 08:39:07 PDT 2004

We're testing DSPAM at the University of Michigan, and have been using
it with our IMP installation for several months now.  Aside for one
feature in IMP 4.0 that we're waiting for, we've been pretty happy with
how easy it was to integrate.

> The suggested setup for reporting false positives and spam with DSPAM
> is to
> forward the message to per user email aliases.
> eg.
>   spam-user at example.com
>   falsepos-user at example.com
>
> which is a bit cumbersome and I don't see my users actually using it.

Is it any less cumbersome than "dspam --user user at domain --addspam"?

How will your users be accessing their email?  Solely through the
webmail client?  Other desktop clients?  Terminal clients (mutt, mh,
pine, etc?) Are they going to have the option of running the command
line anywhere else, or only using the webmail client?

If you go w/ the email reporting method, your users don't have to have
access to a command line, and can train their spam filters using
whatever email clients you allow them to use with your servers.

> I'd rather have the 'Report as spam' link run
> dspam --user user at domain --addspam
> and have a second link 'Report as False Positive' run
> dspam --user user at domain --falsepositive

The "report as spam" link can either execute a program or send email to
an address.

> It works, however I did run into permissions errors.
> the dspam binary is installed 2510, root.mail
> and the dspam USERDIR is 770, root.mail

If you use $conf['spam']['email'] instead of $conf['spam']['program'],
you don't need to grant your webserver broader privileges on the
filesystem.  It's probably best to not let your webserver have more
access than it absolutely needs to.

I can generate a diff of what we're running, if you like.  I've already
submitted a version of it back, and it was accepted into the CVS
branch.

Liam