[imp] IMP is like Eudora?

Joaquim Homrighausen joho at webbplatsen.se
Thu Jun 24 01:40:53 PDT 2004

  * Quoting Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> on 2004-06-24:

> The good news is, we don't need to sell IMP anyone. And it stands out by its
> native features. Sure, some people *have* to sell IMP to someone (their
> boss, their users), but that might involve teaching them that Offlook is
> not the measure of all things and that some things, while being useful for
> a desktop application, just don't work or don't work so well with a web
> application.

I hear you.. and I agree; but one use for HORDE/IMP for me, is to be able to
throw out Microsoft more or less completely in some environments. This also
serves another purpose (IMHO), which is to show people (at all levels and of
all types) what can be accomplished with a) Open source and b) Web
applications.

Making the effort to switch a low-impact hit rather than major headache seems
logical to me. The folder bar/pane in Offlook makes folder navigation much
faster than it is in IMP today. The message preview in Offlook makes reading
mail less of an effort, though I consider the preview issue to be of less
importance than the folder selection.

-Joaquim