[imp] IMP is like Eudora?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jun 24 05:46:15 PDT 2004

Zitat von Joaquim Homrighausen <joho at webbplatsen.se>:

> It feels a little bit like "Microsoft is bad, and thus everything they do is
> bad"; I agree, Microsoft is bad, but I don't think everything they do sucks.

This is crap, noone said that and noone intended that. There is actually a
lot to learn from Microsoft when it comes to user interfaces, good
solutions as well as bad solutions. And this thread was about Eudora in the
first place.

> I too love IMP/HORDE/etc, and I think the Horde Crew deserves more than what
> they get, it wasn't (and isn't) my intention to complain.
>
> My intention was (is) to implement HORDE/IMP/etc. in a company where 2800
> people will be using it instead of Outlook. That will generate cash, and the
> goal was to be able to transfer some of that cash to the Horde Crew. But I
> can't sell "Well, you used to do it this way, and that took 1s per message,
> now you have to do it this way - which is more complicated - and it takes 3s
> per message"; that won't fly here.

"... but we can give you that feature back in the new environment, but then
it would take 5 seconds."

The point is that 1) some things simply don't work in a browser environment
or only with major drawbacks and 2) IMP needs to deserve more needs than
looking like a mail client that users are used to, e.g. stability,
performance and flexibility, and some of these might contradict others.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting.php