[imp] PHP Accelerator

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Jun 25 14:36:14 PDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:05:45 -0500, Eric Rostetter
<eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Quoting Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com>:
>
>>> You can also try phpa from http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/
>>> which has worked well for many and is also free.
>>
>> I'm finding that it causes Turba to crash.
>
>I did not have that problem (using CVS HEAD versions).  But it did
>cause trouble when used together with any of the imap proxy servers
>I tried.
>
>> I set up the shared memory as 16 MB.
>
>Maybe you didn't have enough shared memory available on the system for
>everything (sql, phpa, etc)?
>
>> Also, when logged in as root , phpa_cache_admin -mv returns
>>
>> No shm cache available with key 0x0c0deb00. The cache may not exist
>
>Never saw this problem.
>
>> PHP.INI:
>>
>> ; PHP Accelerator extension settings
>> zend_extension="/usr/local/php_accelerator/php_accelerator_1.3.3r2.so"
>> phpa.shm_size=16
>> ;phpa.phpa=off
>> phpa.enable_php_memory_bug_workaround=1
>> phpa.shm_perms=666
>
>I used (note I used various versions, the last I was using 1.3.3r2, but
>I'd used 1.3.4r1 before that, and others before that):
>
>; PHP Accelerator extension
>;zend_extension="/usr/lib/php4/php_accelerator_1.3.4r1.so"
>zend_extension="/usr/lib/php4/php_accelerator_1.3.3r2.so"
>phpa = On;
>phpa.tweaks = On;       ; code optimizer
>phpa.enable_php_memory_bug_workaround = 0   ; not normally needed
>phpa.cache_dir = /var/www/cache/php_accelerator
>phpa.file_perms = 400
>phpa.cache_file_prune_period = 4h
>phpa.cache_file_ttl = 1d
>phpa.shm_size = 12
>phpa.shm_key = 0xc0deb00
>phpa.shm_perms = 666        ; should be 600 if possible
>phpa.shm_release_at_exit = on
>phpa.shm_stats_check_period = 5m
>phpa.shm_ttl = 12h
>phpa.shm_max_processes = 257    ; apache MaxClients+1 (or greater)
>phpa.shm_lock_threshold0 = 10
>phpa.shm_lock_threshold1 = 10
>phpa.shm_user = apache
>phpa.shm_group = apache
>
>> PHP Version 4.3.6
>
>I used PHP 4.3.x, currently 4.3.4.  It's my own build, not a Red Hat build.
>Running on RH 8.0 and now RH 9.

I added

phpa.shm_user=nobody
phpa.shm_group=nobody

to my existing php.ini and all is cool. The rest is a red herring.  There must
be something about how the shared memory ownership gets set with default
values as Apache starts that got things confused and made the shared memory
inaccessible.
--
   Steve