[imp] Installation guide and PHP skills.

Lydiard lydiard at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 27 00:02:57 PDT 2004

HI

I've been looking around for a webmail client for ages, and despite good showing
from various PERL clients, NEO and Squirrel Mail, I've been using Horde from one
of my providers, and I'm ultra impressed with the layout and features..  I am a
relative newbie to Linux, server administration and things, but so far I have
managed to build a very secure mail server, and with the help of a friend, I
have apache (1.13) running quite well with a lot of security too (although at
the moment mod_ssl is not installed).

I think I am now brave enough to install and setup Horde/IMP.  But I have no PHP
experience whatsoever..  Is this a huge handicap, or even not recommended?  I've
been lurking on this list for a while, and it seems to me that you only need the
PHP if you're intending to customise IMP above and beyond the call of duty.  How
easy it really??  I was planning on following the this HOWTO, which seems quite
comprehensive:
http://www.geocities.com/oliversl/imp/#1_Introduction

I'd welcome, any tips, hints, advice, warnings, other HOWTOs, etc.

Thanks.

Lyd