[imp] Giving back to the community

Lord Apollyon implist at paypc.com
Sat Jul 17 13:20:16 PDT 2004

> Exactly. But we would love to link to this code from horde.org, as we
> already do with other unofficial sites.

This reminds me.  I've done an enhancement to the AppleDouble processing
section of Horde/IMP-CVS which allows a runtime MacBinary transcoding of
AppleDouble attachments to allow Macintosh users to get a single-click
two-forked file without any additional processing in most modern
web-browsers which perform MacBinary decoding. (Even if the support isn't in
the web-browser, Macintosh users are more accustomed to processing MacBinary
files with Stuffit Expander than re-assembling two components of AppleDouble
files separately.)

The patch to IMP is minor, but the heavy lifting is done by an external
program written in C, which my client intends to make publicly available as
a gift to the community.  I know I've seen "optional" installations of
binaries and whatnot within the IMP source code before (for things like
quota and aspell to name just two), but I'm assuming something similar will
not be rejected by the Horde/IMP team?

If any of the Horde/IMP developers would like to see the UI effects of my
changes and chastise me accordingly, it would save alot of back-and-forth in
that section of the patch; please contact me directly via email for a
username/password to a test site.

The UI impact of my changes involves changing the behaviour of the primary
"AppleDouble" (Apple icon) link, and adding another link which explicitly
refers to the data fork portion of the AppleDouble attachment.

Also, I found some incorrect functionality assumptions within the horde
framework "Browser.php" for Macintosh clients and their download-method/MIME
specs.  Using the ms-download MIME type on Macintosh IE 5.0.x for example
causes some reproducible weirdness.

=R=