[imp] Giving back to the community

Sean D. mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Sat Jul 17 17:36:35 PDT 2004

Jan Schneider wrote:

> Exactly. But we would love to link to this code from horde.org, as we
> already do with other unofficial sites.

cool.. just the response i was hoping for. ;-)

>> maybe just a forum and a directory to dump files in...
>> i could host such a project..
>> i'm way too lazy to mantain much on it though :-D
>> horde.org needs a good support forum. easier to search and organize
>> things than
 >
> No. The mailing lists are available as news groups and searchable archives
> in various places, no forum could provide such a widespread use. And the
> Horde team definitely has not the time to watch mailing lists *and* forums.
> There are already 48 Horde mailing list we have to watch.

yup yup... heard same things before though from the devs of another GPL project
i watch. (Smoothwall linux firewall distro). They had a very active mailing list
and always resisted the idea of a forum.  Well, I dont know what prompted it but
they finally made a support forum and it took off like crazy.  There are fewer
repeat questions of known issues. More user participation, and its just more
organized.  They love their forum now and I'm so happy they switched to it. So
much easier to reference old issues and whats really amazing is the increase in
community involvement. The "Homebrew Mods" section of the forum has completely
taken off and I have made some significant unofficial improvements thanks to
that section.  Mailing list archives are searchable but what if you dont know
exactly what you're looking for is called.  You cant just browse a list of mods
through a mailing list archive.  Anyway... forums did wonders for that project
and i don't see how it could hurt this one.  I really believe that it would
reduce the amount of time you spend on support versus coding.

>> a mailing list... also they need a lot of FAQ work done... that wiki
>> is looking
>> pretty scarce ;-)
>
> Someone started to port the official FAQ to the Wiki, but it's far from
> being finished. But it's a Wiki, so start working on it, we need help on
> documentation.

ok.. i'll look at it a bit more... I dont know all that much myself.

>> sounds like a fun project... whatta you guys think?
>
> Of course you are free to offer any unofficial Horde support, but
> personally
> I'd prefer if you would help out on areas where the official Horde stuff
> lacks at the moment.

heh... you overestimate my knowledge :-O  i'm getting ok at debugging but i
couldnt code my way out of a paperbag.  I do try and help on this mailing list
which is WHY i want to make a forum because i see myself answering the same
question i asked a month ago and i repeat the same answer i got.  Would be soo
nice if i could just post them a link to a forum thread and i think i wouldnt
even have to because most of the time they would find it first.  But i dont
really know how to convince you of this.

I will offer to host it and set it up if you just did the dns zone file for
forum.horde.org to my servers IP.  Somebody else could probably help with
theming it to look more "horde-ish".  Or perhaps i could buy a domain.

Sean D.