[imp] Re: [dev] Sidebar Mail "Block"

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Thu Aug 12 05:32:16 PDT 2004

> Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:
>
>> Do I have to do something to get it to load the entire folder tree when
>> initially loading the sidebar frame?
>
> Yeah - debug why it's not loading properly at first. It's a known
> problem, but
> no one has been able to debug it just yet.
>
> -chuck

Acting on clues posted by Andrew Coleman (thanks!), I changed my "Mailbox and
Folder Display Options", under "Expand the entire folder tree by default in
the folders view?", to "Remember the last view". With that option set, the
sidebar shows the number of new messages for the expanded folders (but it
doesn't automatically expand the tree, which I like; I prefer to expand and
collapse manually in the sidebar).

I haven't been able to find where the sidebar mail block is populated (and
rendered), and I'm not sure that everybody wants it to work the same way, but
it *appears* that, to get the functionality I want (display the count of *all*
new messages, and allow access to every folder in the sidebar), I simply need
to have the sidebar populated as though the "Expand the entire folder tree by
default in the folders view?" option is set to "Yes". Assuming I can find
where the sidebar is built, would this be a good user preference to add under
IMP? Should the block itself have a configuration somewhere?

Another item I'd like to look into: with the folder list expanded, my sidebar
frame needs a horizontal scrollbar, as the count of new messages in some of my
folders is beyond the right boundary of the frame. Since most of my computers
run at 1600x1200, I have the screen real estate to widen the sidebar frame a
little to eliminate the horizontal scrollbar and have everything appear in the
frame, so I though to make the frame width configurable.

Does anyone else think this would be a good feature? If so, would it be better
configurable by an admin, or as a user preference?

Thanks,
Rick
--
Rick Emery