**Fwd: Re: [imp] (no subject)

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 12 14:16:46 PDT 2004

Quoting Daniel Eckl <daniel.eckl at gmx.de>:

> You do NOT read the replies.

I'm sure he did.

> I wrote to you:
>
> ---------------------------------
> > is there a solution? My server needs to support PHP5 while I rely on
> > IMP for my mail ...

Yes, there is a solution.  Run two web servers (one one host), one running
php5, one running php4.  You can run them on different ports.  If you need
it to look more transparent, use redirects, rewrites, or proxy calls in
the main one to the secondary one.

> Use two servers.
>
> (I say "servers", not "hosts")

Correct answer, of course.

> Daniel
> --------------------------------
>
> Daniel

> > the only 'real' reply besides some vague 'no' (meaning 'PHP5 is not
> > backward compatible to PHP4', while I cannot find out what the
> > differences would be)

Then you have no tried to find out what the differences are (it isn't
that hard to find out, and one reply to you gave some examples).

> was: it requires some 'fair amount of work'.

For the current release versions, it sure does.  For CVS HEAD, much
less work, and someday it will be supported, but it isn't yet.

If you wanted to do it with php5, you'd best start with CVS HEAD, and
not a release version.

> > Even more: I only use the IMP to read and compose simple mails. No
> > advanced or fancy features. It may be fairly easy to only upgrade
> > those scripts if somebody pointed out what the real issue is why the
> > software is broken (that for I need the changes between PHP5 and
> > PHP4). Etc.

You'd have to say which version you use (since each version will have
different php5 compatibility issues).  You'd have to say exactly what
features you'd use, and if you're willing to work around problems.
And then, you'd probably still have to find some of the issues yourself
as no one has done extensive php5 testing of Horde/IMP et al.

As for what the differences are between php4 and php5, that is something
you need to ask the php developers, not the Horde/IMP developers.  And it
also depends sometimes on your OS, since different OS/distribution versions
may make changes to things (ommit stuff, add backwards compatibile stuff,
change php.ini defaults, etc).

So, basically, this is not the correct forum to find out how php4 differs
from php5, and you should go elsewhere to find this information.

> > Heck, somebody may even suggest some replacement open source software
> > untill IMP has been upgraded.

If you must use php5, then that is always an option.  But in most cases
it isn't needed (I'd use two apache servers with the first php5 based
one using mod_proxy to redirect Horde/IMP traffic to the php4 engine myself
but your mileage may vary).

> > So, yes, I read the mails in responce to mine.

But you have not understood them.

> > But no, I haven't heard
> > a real response but 'your problem, mate'.

Then you haven't understood them, and instead of asking nicely for a better
explaination, you just make annoying postings.

> > I also find it annoying not
> > knowing about it before upgrading - I couldn't find information about
> > PHP5 incomptibility on the IMP website.

Nor could you find any information saying it was supported.

Granted, it does not specifically say PHP5 won't work, but that is simply
because no one has updated it since PHP5 was created (the docs were all
written before PHP5 was created).  I'll try to update the FAQ soon to
mention PHP5.

Keep in mind PHP5 was only released about a month ago, and many things are
not yet ported to it.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics