[imp] Virtual Hosting

Edwin Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Aug 17 16:21:48 PDT 2004

Quoting Errol Neal <eneal at dfi-intl.com>:

> What is the best way to support multiple hosts in IMP? I need to
> customize the pages for each company specifically for them, so I am
> thinking that a separate install of horde/imp and all other
> applications would work. I am however concerned about one thing. This
> may sound ignorant of me, but should I be concerned about data
> related to session, variables and other 'stuff' in memory being mixed
> between both installs? I'm sorry that is the best way I can describe
> it.

I, and probably others, have faced the decision of whether to go
for separate installs or hack in unique dynamic graphic
solutions per host many times.  I've always opted for the
latter.  I'm lazy and I am mostly happy with the decision.

Mail, calendars, tasks, addressbook, memos, etc., I have no
issues with and play well in there own sandbox, but other apps
such as ansel (photogallery), that I like very much, everyone
can see everyone's photos en everyones domains.   When giving
guest permissions to other apps similar situations occure.  I've
been thinking that if there were an additional permission for
vdomain, it might be easier to keep everyone separate, but maybe
not.  I'm not really sure.  Because of that I'm again considering
separate installs but the concept doesn't excite me that is for
sure.  I will probably just disable the apps that seem
confusing.

Religious note:  I've found that ldap with hordeauth, prefs and
turba with mysql for the rest has made the user admin tasks
easier for me, but as always YMMV ;)

good luck and keep us updated although maybe this isn't the
correct list.

ed