[imp] Help with imaps not connecting

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Wed Sep 22 21:28:49 PDT 2004

> > best I can get is connecting to 143 using SSLTYPE=unix:
> > array(3) {
> >   [0]=>
> >   string(61) \"Retrying LOGIN authentication after AUTHENTICATE LOGIN
> > failed\"
> >   [1]=>
> >   string(61) \"Retrying LOGIN authentication after AUTHENTICATE LOGIN
> > failed\"
> >   [2]=>
> >   string(62) \"Can not authenticate to IMAP server: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN
> > failed\"
> > }
>
> Not sure about this, but I find with Google some reports that setting
> the cookie path to \"/\" helped resolve this problem for others.

If it was imp, but its starting to look like its not an imap thing...

> This suggests the problem is doesn\'t involve IMP directly.  Have you
> tried using another imap client to connect to the server? Are you
> blocking connectivity to that port or machine? Do the logs on the imap
> server show *anything* when you try to connect?

Thanks George,
Heres what the logs say:
Sep 22 22:02:12 gateway imapd[27968]: Login failed user=pdman auth=pdman host=gateway.aproximation.org [192.168.168.6]

So imp must be working.
How can I test imp with a non-imp tool? Does pine use imap?
I tried:
[pdman at gateway imap-2004a]$ mtest/mtest pdman
MTest -- C client test program
Debug protocol (y/n)?y
Mailbox (\'?\' for help): INBOX
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:22:00 -0600 (MDT)
 dummy mailbox: INBOX, 0 messages, 0 recent
MTest>mbox
 Mailbox INBOX, 0 messages, 0 recent, 0 unseen, 1095913325 UID validity, 1 next UID
MTest>mail
This doesnt really tell me anything, does it?

What else can I do?

Thanks again for the help!
-thewade