[imp] IMP Slow?

lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de
Thu Sep 23 01:06:59 PDT 2004

Zitat von Mike DiChiappari <mdichiappari at domanisoft.com>:

> Our IMP/Horde seems to be very slow.  I've looked through some of the
> posting here regarding performance and have tried a few things, but no
> success yet.
>
> The problem is that accessing email via IMP is slow.  Access to IMAP
> mailboxes is fast through other email clients (Eudora, Outlook Express).  It
> is worse for accounts with large mailboxes (~100MB).  Login is slow and each
> page (inbox, message) is slow (5-10 seconds).
>
> The machine is configured like this: RedHat9 with typical stuff, php
> 4.2.2-17, imap-2001a-18, horde 2.2.3, imp 3.2.1, and apache 2.0.40-21.  Oh,
> this is a relatively slow server (500MHz) and servers only about a dozen
> email accounts.
>
> Any clues?  Thanks in advance.

- Use php with mcrypt support, makes performance improvment of ~20% with newer
IMP.
- Use a php-accelerator (like this one http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/) ~30%
performance win.
- Have a look at your IMAP-Server UW-IMAP isn't the right choice with big
mailboxes.

Works fine here with some hundred mailboxes on a crappy K6-233MHz with 128MB
RAM.

Regards

Andreas