[imp] Suggestions for wu-imap altenatives

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Sep 23 06:37:35 PDT 2004

Quoting Alain Fauconnet <alain at ait.ac.th>:

> Oh... can someone explain me why support for  mcrypt  would  make  IMP
> faster? (I don't question it does, I just don't understand why!)

We encrypt (using 2-way encryption, not hashing, for obvious reasons)
passwords
in session data, to avoid having cleartext passwords in the session
store. It's
not foolproof at all, but it means that someone who gains access to your
server's session store doesn't *automatically* have all the passwords in it.
That requires actually doing encryption, and mcrypt, being written in C, is a
much faster way of doing it than the PHP-native code we fall back on if mcrypt
isn't available.

-chuck

Quincy Adams