[imp] Suggestions for wu-imap altenatives

Andrew Coleman mercury at appisolutions.net
Thu Sep 23 12:33:25 PDT 2004

Quoting Dan H <dhammer at kdhtech.com>:

> Mike,
>
> Honestly (in my opinion) switching to courier-imap isn't that
> painful.  I used
> to be a regular user of wu-imap.  There was some trial and error
> involved but I
> am much happier since I made the change.  Also the maildir system is a
> much more
> efficient system. For example... If someone has 100 emails in their inbox all
> the data is stored in one large file.  That will start to slow things
> down.  If
> you have someone lazy like me who never gets around to putting the mail into
> folders the size can get out of hand.  With the maildir system all the emails
> are stored in small individual files.  So whether someone has 10 emails or
> 10,000 they don't slow down.  If you are running a small mail server then now
> is the absolute best time to change.  Worst time to change is once it gets
> large.  There is also a program out there that will convert your mail files
> from Mbox to Maildir.  I used it a few months back to do my conversion.
>   It was
> painless.  Give it a try.  It may be a little work at first but you will be
> happier in the long run.
>
> Regards,
> Dan H

Maildir is your friend. What are you supposed to do if something were
to happen
to your filesystem and *one* block, *one* sector gets corrupted in /var/spool.
Guess where your mail went? *poof* Maildir is cool.

As far as not building software, check out freshrpms.net. They have a lot of
different rpms for RPM based systems (redhat, mandrake, fedora, etc)

--
Andrew Coleman

   -The revolution will not be televised.