[imp] invalid signature divider

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 1 08:34:56 PDT 2004

[ I am very sorry Chuck that I did send my reply to your personal mail
address and not to this list ]

Am Fr, den 01.10.2004 schrieb Chuck Hagenbuch um 5:59:

> > Though setting up a proper signature divider within my signature
using
> > Horde / IMP, the divider is automatically changed. The proper format
is
> > "-- " (two hyphens and a white spcae) and not "--" which IMP
creates. Is
> > there a way to fix this behaviour? I am using the stable versions of
> > Horde and IMP, but am seeing this behaviour too when looking at
Jan's
> > signature divider. (The mailing list software sets it correct.)

Chuck, glad that you replied :)

> Well, I see no difference between your signature and the mailing list
> signature.

Just see this mail or yours I am reacting on just now. The mailing list
signature is automatically erased by the mail program as it has a valid
signature divider of the form "-- " (hyphen hyphen whitespace). With the
list signature I am speaking about

In contrast your own signature (But she goes not abroad ...) is started
/ divided with a "--" which is no correct signature divider following
the RFC. So it is not properly recognized by mailers as a signature and
won't.

> So perhaps you can give us a test case. Also, it's doubtful this will
be dealt
> with in IMP 3 since it's a pretty trivial issue. We'll try to deal
with it for
> IMP 4, though, if we can reproduce it.

I hope I could explain what I mean good enough. If not please feel free
to ask again.

>From the mail header I am seeing that you are using:

So the problem with the incorrect signature divider ( "--" instead of
correct "-- "; the whitespace following the 2 hyphens is important!)
exists in IMP 4.0 CVS too, not only in stable IMP 3.

> -chuck

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 17:33:24 up 1 day, 19:59, load average: 0.76, 0.74, 0.75