[imp] Horde Prefs x MySQL - What am I missing?

fabricio bianco abreu fabricio at tc.df.gov.br
Wed Oct 13 09:33:47 PDT 2004

Hi folks,

I have one machining running Horde/Imp/Turba and all the necessary programs
(postfix, imap, ldap and MySQL, etc) running sucessufully. Horde preferences are
stored on MySQL running on that machine too.

I have a second machine running Horde/Imp/Turba connected do the first machine
services (imap, ldap and MySQL). Horde preferences in this second machine were
stored on MySQL running in the first machine. It was running perfectly.

Bellow there is an excerpt of Horde's test.php on the second machine:
--- snip
Horde Versions
    * Horde: 2.2.5
    * IMP: 3.2.3 (run IMP tests)
    * Turba: 1.2.2
    * Kronolith: 1.1.1
    * Nag: 1.1

PHP Version
    * View phpinfo() screen
    * PHP Version: 4.3.1
    * PHP Major Version: 4.3
    * PHP Minor Version: 1
    * PHP Version Classification: release
    * You are running a supported version of PHP.
---snip

I recently had to change the IP address of the second machine to 192.160.0.1. No
parameter regarding Horde applications was changed.

After doing so, upon login to IMP on the second machine I got a "fatal error"
such as:
---snip
"A fatal error has occurred:
DB Error: connect failed
[line 108 of /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php]
Details have been logged for the administrator."
---snip

Searching the logs of both machines I figured out that MySQL was refusing to
authenticate the second machine. See the excerpt of MySQL on the first machine:
---snip
"Connect     Access denied for user: 'horde at 192.168.0.1' (Using password: YES)"
---snip

So I connected do MySQL on the first machine, selected the "mysql" database and
updated the "user" table:
---snip
"mysql> update user set host="192.169.0.1" where host="<old IP from second
machine>"
---snip

Then I issued a "mysqladmin -p reload" command.

Now, upon upon login to IMP on the second machine I have no "fatal error"
message. Nevertheless, no Horde preferences are retrieved from MySQL. I have
some messages logged on Horde:
---snip
Oct 13 12:24:31 HORDE [info] [imp] clean session [on line 882 of
"/www/horde/lib/Horde.php"]
Oct 13 12:24:32 HORDE [info] [imp] No preferences were retrieved. [on line 244
of "/www/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]
Oct 13 12:24:32 HORDE [notice] [imp] Login success for gabriel at mydomain.org
[200.140.4.209] to {10.0.0.1:993} [on line 92 of "/www/horde/imp/redirect.php"]
Oct 13 12:24:33 HORDE [notice] [imp] Failed retrieving prefs for
gabriel at mydomain.org [on line 315 of "/www/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]
Oct 13 12:24:33 HORDE [info] [horde] No preferences were retrieved. [on line 244
of "/www/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]
Oct 13 12:24:37 HORDE [info] [kronolith] No preferences were retrieved. [on line
244 of "/www/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]
Oct 13 12:24:37 HORDE [info] [nag] No preferences were retrieved. [on line 244
of "/www/seguro/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]
---snip

The funny thing is that if I use MySQL command line tool on the second matchine
to connect to the MySQL server on the first machine, using the very same
parameters, including the password, informed in "horde.php" I get a positive
connection:
---snip
mysql -h 10.0.0.1 -u horde -p horde
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 237331 to server version: 3.23.58-log

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer

mysql>
---snip

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

                     Fabricio Bianco Abreu
          Núcleo de Informática e Processamento de Dados
TRIBUNAL DE CONTAS DO DISTRITO FEDERAL (http://www.tc.df.gov.br)
                   Tel 55 - 61 - 314 2236
                   Fax 55 - 61 - 314 2268
Utilize software livre (visite http://www.tc.df.gov.br/tcbrasil)