[imp] IMP_4_0_ALPHA autoexpand and Expand Names question

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Fri Oct 15 07:29:45 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am using an installation of the latest ALPHA releases for the top tier of
Horde modules (Horde, IMP, Kronolith. Nag, Mnemos, and Turba).  I have
autoexpand turned on so that names are automatically expanded.  However, unless
you have a totally unique name, this is a bit cumbersome to use.

If you do not have a unique name, you receive a javascript popup that says "More
than one address found for field ..."  You are given no choices to resolve the
ambiguity in the name.  However, if you use the Expand Names button, you are
given a list of all the choices that match your search criteria.

My initial assumption is that the two methods were using the same code and
something wasn't getting set properly with the autoexpand feature.  However, it
looks like there are two almost totally seperate code paths for these two ways
of expanding names.  Would it not make sense to have one set of code for all
name expansion that could be manually invoked by clicking on the Expand Names
function or automatically invoked if the autoexpand option were turned on (in
which case it would make sense to potentially hide the Expand Names button)?

I have no patch yet because I'm trying to understand why the code was written
the way it was.  If there is a good design reason for doing the expansion in
different ways, I don't want to break that.  But from a non-technical end-users
perspective, autoexpand is going to be a major source of frustration with the
way it currently returns no results, unless a unique address is found.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator