[imp] IMP_4_0_ALPHA attachments single click

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Fri Oct 15 08:02:04 PDT 2004

Hello,

Another area of confusion for end-users is attaching messages in the compose
screen.  Currently it is a two step process - Browse for the document, then
Attach the document.  Most users have the Browse portion down pat, but many
forget to click on the Attach button the first time around.  They will get
warned when they attempt to send a message where they've browsed for
attachments but not attached them.

However, to simplify the whole process, I would propose the following:

Eliminate the field where you can specify the path to a file name (most end
users aren't going to use this).
Eliminate the Attach button and set the onclick action for the Browse/Find Files
button to ("add_attachment", "add"), just like the action for the Attach
button.

End result is one-click attachment.

I coded up a patch to do this.  It worked fine with Firefox but throws up
warnings with IE on both Windows and Macs and doesn't work at all with Safari
on a Mac.  So I'm back with the current way of attaching documents and would
like to understand the reasoning for adding attachments being a two step
process.

Thanks,
Kevin

--