[imp] Translation cache?

Fabio Gomes flgomes at fazenda.sp.gov.br
Thu Nov 4 07:21:42 PST 2004

Em Qui 04 Nov 2004 12:26, Jan Schneider escreveu:
> Zitat von Fabio Gomes <flgomes at fazenda.sp.gov.br>:
> >   Omg, guess what. As I said I updated the translation of the string
> > "Mail" in
> > horde/po/pt_BR.po file. That's the only po file in my installation with
> > the string "Mail". Then, was there I made the change.
> > But doing some debug in my installation today I figured out that
> > Horde/IMP was
> > looking for the translation of the string "Mail" in horde/imp/locale, not
> > in horde/locale where should be the right place to check.
> >
> >   Then I discovered that the already compiled
> > horde/imp/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/pt_BR.mo file had the translation for
> > "Mail" in it, but the pt_BR.po file hasn't.
> > What I've done? I included the translation for the string "Mail" in IMP
> > pt_BR.po file and recompiled it. Then the translation worked as was
> > supposed to work.
> >
> >   Then be aware: The po files with the IMP instalation DOES NOT reflect
> > the already compiled mo files.
>
> This is by intention. The applications' .mo files are created from the
> applications' .po files merged with horde's po file. This is necessary
> because you can only have one textdomain active at the same time, while a
> lot of strings in the applications come from horde code.

That's about the compendium files created by translation.php script, is'nt it?
I thought that was an optional feature, not a must. And, even being a must,
that translation.php didn't work in my solaris box.
There is still a horde/docs/TRANSLATIONS file with the old documentation about
translations. That file helped me to mess up the teory. :-)
Correct me if wrong: To manually update translations in my solaris box, from
now on is simply:

- cat horde.po >> application.po
- msgfmt -v -o ../locale/[language]/LC_MESSAGES/application.mo application.po

Regards,
--
Fábio Gomes