[imp] sendmail errors and IMP

Son Truong svt at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 08:09:34 PST 2004

Hello,

I would like to know how much Horde/IMP interacts with sendmail
in terms of error reporting.

There has been two instances where there has been a systems problem
which has affected 'sendmail' (the mailer used for delivering mail set in
the horde.php config file) which Horde/IMP fails to notify the user
about. The compose windows is dismissed when the send button is
pressed as if the delivery of the message is all OK.

One of the problem is when the system filespace is 100% full and
sendmail can't write a temporary file to then send. The second problem
is where sendmail has been mis-configured and has no directory for
temporary files to write to. The two are effectively the same problem,
but sendmail might/should report different errors... and Horde/IMP
should capture both and report to the user. But in my set up it doesn't.

Does error reporting/processing depend on the version of sendmail
the system is using? Could someone test this out on their system and
inform me how it behaves for you?

The version of Horde is 2.2.4 and IMP is 3.2.2 and sendmail is
8.12.3/8.12.9 and the system is Debian Linux 2.4.20.

Thanks for you attention,
Son

--
Son V Truong * Systems Programmer