[imp] Re: imp with courrier imap is too slow

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Tue Dec 7 13:57:20 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 15:44, Daniel Eckl wrote:
> I made my webmail for a very small user group which all had local unix
> accounts.
> At the beginning I used small IMAP servers like imapd and dovecot and so on,
> then I tried courier, which was a little bit better.
>
> Using an imapproxy like that from horde project helped a little bit, but not
> much.
>
> And then I was bored and tried cyrus and *boom* performance was
> multiplied by 5
> to 10 times.
>
> So that's my suggestion to you. If you want to have professional speed
> you have
> to use professional software and you have to swallow the bitter pill and learn
> to install, configure and administrate the new complicated daemon. It's hard
> work, but it's worth the cost.

That's odd.  www.vfemail.net is a PIII-800 accessing courier on a
P4-2800.  The only time I noticed a slowness was when I first added the
P4, and courier was on the PIII-800 accessing the data on the P4 over
NFS.  The PIII only has a 10MB NIC.

This is on FreeBSD 4.8 and 5.2.1 respectively.

IMHO, the biggest performance boost comes from mod_gzip.
<shrug>

Rick