[imp] Re: imp with courrier imap is too slow

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Tue Dec 7 14:09:52 PST 2004

Zitat von Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>:

> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 15:44, Daniel Eckl wrote:
>> I made my webmail for a very small user group which all had local unix
>> accounts.
>> At the beginning I used small IMAP servers like imapd and dovecot and so on,
>> then I tried courier, which was a little bit better.
>>
>> Using an imapproxy like that from horde project helped a little bit, but not
>> much.
>>
>> And then I was bored and tried cyrus and *boom* performance was
>> multiplied by 5
>> to 10 times.
>>
>> So that's my suggestion to you. If you want to have professional speed
>> you have
>> to use professional software and you have to swallow the bitter pill
>> and learn
>> to install, configure and administrate the new complicated daemon. It's hard
>> work, but it's worth the cost.
>
> That's odd.  www.vfemail.net is a PIII-800 accessing courier on a
> P4-2800.  The only time I noticed a slowness was when I first added the
> P4, and courier was on the PIII-800 accessing the data on the P4 over
> NFS.  The PIII only has a 10MB NIC.
>
> This is on FreeBSD 4.8 and 5.2.1 respectively.

Hmmmmm.... Okay, my experience is with imp and the imap daemon on the same
machine only. So I can say for sure, that my speedup comes from switching the
IMAP daemon only.

> IMHO, the biggest performance boost comes from mod_gzip.
> <shrug>

Yes, of course. Forgot to mention that because it's active by default
if PHP has
the extension. I'm used to linux distributions where this is enabled by
default, too. But if someone compiles PHP himself, this could be a point, yes.

Greets,
Daniel