[imp] Several problems with Horde+IMP

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Mon Jan 3 08:55:08 PST 2005

On 02.01.2005 23:54 (+0100), Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Why don't you read docs/INSTALL, properly configure the preferences
> backend (for
> starters), and don't *ever* post another message complaining about errors when
> you don't include the actual, complete error message.

Well, I did read INSTALL of both archives (horde and IMP), otherwise I
wouldn't have been able to do anything with it at all.

And sorry for the missing error messages. Here they are (where applicable):

> * Renaming a user leads to have me locked out. I renamed "Administrator"
> to "yves" and had to correct things by hand in the database because I
> could not log in anymore. Then I had to manually correct the config file
> that I was Admin again.

The message was "Login failed, incorrect password" (or something
similar, I cannot remember anymore). This is fixed with 2 manual changes
now.

> * I'm using Firefox 1.0 and the web interface makes a highly unstable
> impression to me. Sometimes, I get the left menu, sometimes not.
> Sometimes it can save settings, seldom not.

You need exact probability values? I believe the description is quite
precise. Oh yes, if the left menu is missing, it's just away. There's a
small rest of the box where it's supposed to be in, but no text/links.
The same may also apply to some of the top navigation line icons,
especially after I have changed anything in the configuration. I can
only see logout, problems and another button, but by far not all.

> * I cannot update my default identity. I could with the old horde, but
> now it won't remember any changes. After storing them, I get a success
> message, but in that moment, they're lost again. (...)

No error message visible here.

> * (...) When I click on "Accounts", I get no checkbox,
> but I can perform some operations on them. Great.

Again, no error message, not even desired content.

> * What is that "Layout" button supposed to do? (...)

Still no error message. It's just kicking boxes through my window. But
this one's probably not an important thing for now.

> There's a long way to go for usability yet... But let's first get it
> functional at all.

This was really meant as an objective observation, not some overreacted
thing. The problems I described should really not be there and if they
are, the user should be informed about whatever goes wrong. I cannot
confirm horde/IMP doing this. The majority of today's software needs the
user to assume "no message" = "success".

Unclassified NewsBoard Forum --> newsboard.unclassified.de
Free (GPL), easy to use and install, secure, innovative! (PHP+MySQL)