[imp] How to select the login mail server on per user basis

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.Lemeur at supelec.fr
Thu Jan 20 07:27:04 PST 2005

Hello,

I've got a working Horde-3.0.2/IMP-4.0.1 installation and horde uses IMP
authentication.

I've got several mailbox servers (IMAP and POP) and for the moment IMP uses
the "$conf['server']['server_list'] = 'shown';" parameter so as to let my
users select on which server they log.

Now, I'd like to auto-select the mailbox server with a custom function that
query an LDAP directory. I can read in the IMP's configuration (section
"Mail Server"):
* "If the server list is hidden then you can use the 'preferred' mechanism
to auto-select from it based on an HTTP virtualhost or another piece of
data"
* "If none, no server list will be shown and the defaults will be used
unless another mechanism changes them"

However :
 * The 'preferred' mechanism seems to use the Server Name and not a custom
function
 * I haven't seen any preference-based hook function to select the mail
server
	==> Thus I don't think this is a user preference information
 * I haven't seen any application-based (IMP) hook function to select the
mail server
	==> Thus I don't think it's possible with at hook function

The only thing I've seen, is a custom-login.php script in the scripts/
directory.

Is it the only way to achieve "per user mail server selection"

May be another way is to use Horde authentication with LDAP. But can horde
initializes the "mail server" value, so that IMP autologin to the correct
server can work ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or example.

--
Thibault LE MEUR
Network and security Engineer

Supélec Campus de GIF