[imp] [patch] Configurable Received: header behavior

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed Feb 9 14:28:05 PST 2005

Quoting Brian Keifer <brian at valinor.net>:

> Hi, All.
>
> I've been seeing some people mentioning that they have issues with
> spam filters
> seeing their dial-up or otherwise dynamic IP in the Received headers and
> thinking the messages are originating from a mail server in dynamic space.
> I've been bitten by this as well recently, so I wanted to do something about
> it, if only for my own server.
>
> The attached file is a diff against imp-h3-4.0.2-rc1.  It adds an admin-level
> config option (on by default) to enable or disable adding the first received
> header.  I wanted to toss this out as a suggestion, mainly to see if the core
> folks had any strong feelings either way on it.
>
> I've checked out a couple of webmail services (Yahoo!, Hotmail, Gmail, and a
> couple of local ISPs) and so far, Gmail's the only one that doesn't
> include the
> sending workstation's IP address in a Received: header.
>
> If it's dubbed fit for inclusion, I'll be happy to re-roll a patch
> against HEAD,
> but as you can see, it's a fairly simple one. =)

This topic has been covered thoroughly at least two times previously
(here's one thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=109920012106890&w=2).

And the answer remains the same - this *is* a bug (or, maybe better
classified, as an incorrect conclusion from mail analysis) in
spamassassin.  Sure enough, this test no longer exists in the 3.x
versions (the last time I checked).

michael