[imp] Re: Re[2]: UTF-8 characters not displayed correctly in IMP3

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Thu Feb 10 09:56:12 PST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2005 17:05 schrieb Karolis Dautartas:
> I am resending this as I don't think it has been delivered.

> > > Even if I am ready to purchase commercial support?
> >
> > Even then. Large portions of Horde and IMP have been rewritten during
> > several months to have full charset support. Extending IMP3 to support
> > that would be developing Horde3/IMP4 a second time.
> >
> > Instead of paying for that, you should upgrade to IMP4.
> >
> > Jan.
>
> One thing is that we have spent more than a month modifying IMP to fit our
> needs and upgrading to IMP4 would require a lot of work. But again  I could
> hire someone to do that.
>
> The other problem is that I have been reading this list for a while, and I
> have seen a lot of messages saying that IMP4 is a LOT slower than IMP3. Is
> that really the case?
>
> Also, do you think IMP4 is stable enough to be used in production?
>
> I am using Courier IMAP. Will that not be a problem?
>
> Karolis

Hi!

I use IMP4 in production in two environments. It's running for a very limited
user range on an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and there is mostly only one user at a
time. System is extremely responsive and it feels like having a local running
email client.

Other system is for a user base of about 200, but mostly about 10 user
simultaneously. It's running on a dual Xeon 2,4 Ghz. This is real overkill
for IMP. the CPU power is needed for the 100 simultaneous IMAP SSL connection
to this machine. Performance of IMP is absolutely perfect.

Stability is nearly perfect. Only this plain dumb Outlook users are fooling
the auto expansion by seperating email-address parts with a semicolon. (Jan,
is there a bugfix for that in CVS already?)

As performance tricks I did the following:
- Using a php binary cache (http://eaccelerator.net/)
- Using gzip compression
- Using lots of RAM (at least 1 GB)
- Using Cyrus IMAPd

Cyrus IMAPd is my favorite in performance, because it uses an index for the
mail headers, thus making listing of big folders very fast and it uses a
separate index for the bodies which is built as background task and making
full text searches in mailboxes extremely fast.

I don't know how courier scales here, but I would use Cyrus for scaleability
reasons. While courier might be fast for 50 users, cyrus will be fast for
50000 users too by having the ability to migrate to a "cyrus murder" cluster
etc.pp. without changing the whole backend and migrating lots of mailboxes or
something like that.

Best,
Daniel