[imp] Re: Re[2]: UTF-8 characters not displayed correctly in IMP3

Karolis Dautartas list at public.lt
Thu Feb 10 13:23:05 PST 2005

DE> Hi!

DE> I use IMP4 in production in two environments. It's running for a very limited
DE> user range on an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and there is mostly only one user at a
DE> time. System is extremely responsive and it feels like having a local running
DE> email client.

DE> Other system is for a user base of about 200, but mostly about 10 user
DE> simultaneously. It's running on a dual Xeon 2,4 Ghz. This is real overkill
DE> for IMP. the CPU power is needed for the 100 simultaneous IMAP SSL connection
DE> to this machine. Performance of IMP is absolutely perfect.

DE> Stability is nearly perfect. Only this plain dumb Outlook users are fooling
DE> the auto expansion by seperating email-address parts with a semicolon. (Jan,
DE> is there a bugfix for that in CVS already?)

DE> As performance tricks I did the following:
DE> - Using a php binary cache (http://eaccelerator.net/)
DE> - Using gzip compression
DE> - Using lots of RAM (at least 1 GB)
DE> - Using Cyrus IMAPd

DE> Cyrus IMAPd is my favorite in performance, because it uses an index for the
DE> mail headers, thus making listing of big folders very fast and it uses a
DE> separate index for the bodies which is built as background task and making
DE> full text searches in mailboxes extremely fast.

DE> I don't know how courier scales here, but I would use Cyrus for scaleability
DE> reasons. While courier might be fast for 50 users, cyrus will be fast for
DE> 50000 users too by having the ability to migrate to a "cyrus murder" cluster
DE> etc.pp. without changing the whole backend and migrating lots of mailboxes or
DE> something like that.

DE> Best,
DE> Daniel

hi Daniel,

thank you for sharing your experience about IMP4. Have you been
running IMP3 before? I am just wondering what is the expierience of
migrating from IMP3 to IMP4.

I do understand that your dual Xeon is responsive with 10 users
online. It bloody well should be responsive, because dual Xeon can
handle lots of load.

My main concern is: how is IMP4 doing compared to IMP3? We are
starting a free service and we expect tens of thousands of users
eventually. If we have to use a dual xeon for each 200 users, it is
going to be a financially very painful experience :)

By the way, why is there 100 simultanious IMAP connections? Is new IMP
using 10 connections per user?

Karolis